White House sidewalk to be closed to public permanently
Tourists take selfies by the original South Lawn security fencing at the White House in Washington May 28, 2015. REUTERS/Gary Cameron
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Secret Service said it would end public access to a sidewalk along the south fence of the White House beginning on Wednesday night.
The sidewalk has been closed nightly from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. since 2015 and will now be off-limits around the clock, the Secret Service said in a statement.
The closure will "lessen the possibility of individuals illegally accessing the White House grounds," Secret Service Communications Director Cathy Milhoan said.
In March, a man scaled a fence east of the White House at night and was on the property's grounds for 16 minutes before being detained. He never entered the White House, the Secret Service said.
President Donald Trump was inside the residence at the time of the March 10 incident.
The intrusion was the latest in a series of breaches at the White House in recent years. Security has been boosted, including the installation in 2015 of sharp spikes on top of the black iron fence that circles the 18-acre (7-hectare) property.
Blocking use of the south fence sidewalk will not obstruct the public's ability to view or photograph the White House and its grounds, the Secret Service said, adding no additional "physical" barriers would be installed.
The same restrictions are in place on the north fence of the White House grounds, according to the Secret Service.
(Reporting by Eric Beech; Editing by Peter Cooney)
India's top court rules controversial Muslim divorce law 'unconstitutional' FILE PHOTO: A television journalist sets his camera inside the premises of the Supreme Court in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2014. REUTERS/Anindito Mukherjee/File Photo NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India's Supreme Court on...READ MORE...
North Korea shipments to Syria chemical arms agency intercepted - U.N. reportBy Michelle Nichols UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Two North Korean shipments to a Syrian government agency responsible for the country's chemical weapons program were intercepted in the past six months, according to a...READ MORE...
Australian men charged with terrorism over mosque firesBy Joseph Hinchliffe MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australian police have charged three men with committing terrorist acts on suspicion of starting fires at a Shiite Muslim mosque in Melbourne last year, inspired by Islamic State and intending to...READ MORE...
Scottish, Welsh government heads aim to stop 'blatant power grab' after Brexit Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon visits St Andrew's and St Bride's High School to launch the expansion of the First Minister's Reading Challenge to secondary school pupils in East Kilbride, Scotland, Britain...READ MORE...