South Korea on heightened alert as isolated North readies for army celebration

PUBLISHED ON FRI, APR 21, 2017 11:44 AM

South Korea on heightened alert as isolated North readies for army celebration

By Ju-min Park and Ben Blanchard

REUTERS

 

r13.jpg

North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un observes a target-striking contest by the Korean People's Army (KPA) in this undated photo, released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), April 13, 2017. REUTERS/KCNA/Files

 

SEOUL/BEIJING (Reuters) - South Korea said on Friday it was on heightened alert ahead of another important anniversary in North Korea, with a large concentration of military hardware amassed on both sides of the border amid concerns about a new nuclear test by Pyongyang.

 

U.S. officials said there was a higher-than-usual level of activity by Chinese bombers, signalling a possible heightened state of readiness by Beijing, reclusive North Korea's sole major ally, although the officials played down concerns and left open a range of possible reasons.

 

U.S. and South Korean officials have been saying for weeks that the North could soon stage another nuclear test in violation of United Nations sanctions, something both the United States and China have warned against.

 

North Korea marks the 85th anniversary of the foundation of its Korean People's Army on Tuesday, a key anniversary that comes at the end of major winter military drills, South Korea's Unification Ministry spokesman Lee Duk-haeng said.

 

South Korea and the United States have also been conducting annual joint military exercises, which the North routinely criticises as a prelude to invasion.

 

"It is a situation where a lot of (military) exercise equipment is amassed in North Korea and also a lot of strategic assets are situated on the Korean peninsula because of the South Korea-U.S. military drills," Lee told a briefing.

 

"We are closely watching the situation and will not be letting our guards down," Lee said.

 

U.S. President Donald Trump praised Chinese efforts to rein in "the menace of North Korea" on Thursday, after North Korean state media warned the United States of a "super-mighty preemptive strike".

 

Trump told a news conference "some very unusual moves have been made over the last two or three hours", and that he was confident Chinese President Xi Jinping would "try very hard" to pressure Beijing's neighbour North Korea over its nuclear and missile programmes.

 

Trump gave no indication of what the moves might be. None of the U.S. officials who told Reuters about the heightened level of activity by Chinese bombers suggested alarm or signalled that they knew the precise reason for such activity.

 

An official Chinese newspaper said on Friday there was optimism about persuading the North to end its pursuit of a nuclear programme without the use of force, "now that even the once tough-talking Donald Trump is onboard for a peaceful solution".

 

"Beijing has demonstrated due enthusiasm for Washington's newfound interest in a diplomatic solution and willingness to work more closely with it," the state-run China Daily said in an editorial.

 

Tensions have risen sharply in recent months after North Korea conducted two nuclear weapons tests last year and carried out a steady stream of ballistic missile tests. Trump has vowed to prevent North Korea from being able to hit the United States with a nuclear missile.

 

The isolated country's military will mark the 85th anniversary of the founding of the Korean People's Army on Tuesday amid speculation Pyongyang will use the occasion to test-launch a ballistic missile or conduct a nuclear test.

 

The joint U.S.-South Korea military drills are due to finish at the end of April, and a U.S. aircraft carrier strike group, led by the USS Carl Vinson, is also heading towards the Korean Peninsula, Trump's administration has said.

 

(Editing by Jack Kim and Paul Tait)

 
reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-21
latest news from World

Actor Sir Roger Moore has diedActor Sir Roger Moore, best known for playing James Bond, has died aged 89, his family announces   

READ MORE...

Eight-year-old girl confirmed dead after attack at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester  An eight-year-old girl who become separated from her mother and sister during the Manchester terror attack has been confirmed dead. Saffie-Rose Roussos died from her injuries after a terrorist committed the...

READ MORE...

Manchester concert suicide attack prompts security rethinks worldwideBy Kaori Kaneko and Fathin Ungku Armed police officers stand next to a police cordon outside the Manchester Arena, where U.S. singer Ariana Grande had been performing, in Manchester, northern England, Britain, May 23, 2017....

READ MORE...

Please retweet: Parents go online to find their children after UK attackBy Michael Holden and Jon Super  MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - Desperate parents and friends posted heart-wrenching messages and pictures on social media in the search for their loved ones on Tuesday after a suicide bomber...

READ MORE...
sponsors