Tighter screening near Sanam Luang after bomb

PUBLISHED ON SAT, MAY 20, 2017 10:03 AM

Tighter screening near Sanam Luang after bomb

By THE NATION

 

f646574c4222e89b2f5d09ad3bf2d73b-sld.jpeg

 

BMA to install better cctv cameras.

 

AUTHORITIES will implement more stringent screening of people entering the Sanam Luang area in the wake of Monday night’s small bomb blast.

 

The explosion occurred in front of the National Theatre, slightly injuring two people.

 

The theatre is near Sanam Luang, which attracts thousands of people each day. People visit the Grand Palace near the park to pay respects to HM the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej, whose body was laid in the Dusit Maha Prasat Throne Hall.

 

“We will have to record pictures of people who come. We will also increase the area under close watch to cover the blast site. In addition, we will deploy bicycle patrols, not just motorcycle patrols,” the First Army Area chief Lt-General Apirat Kongsompong said yesterday, after a meeting on security for Sanam Luang, adjacent to the palace.

 

He said Bangkok Governor Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang had already ordered that the best security cameras to be installed in Sanam Luang areas, notably in areas shielded from public view.

 

“Security cameras that were installed two years ago offer the definition of just one million or two million pixels for images,” Apirat said. He urged people to help watch out of any suspicious people or activity. 

 

Army chief General Chalermchai Sittisart said separately yesterday that images from security cameras in front of the National Theatre were not clear and thus were not very useful. He expressed support for the plan to install better-quality cameras. Chalermchai said it remained unclear who plotted the latest blast, but he thought political groups were not involved as they would want peace, which would pave way for an election.

 

He said government policies such as the serious crackdown on drugs might affect the interests of some people who may want to discredit the government.

 

Chalermchai denied speculation that the minor blast was staged to divert attention from the purchase of a submarine by the goverment or huge interests at the Government Lottery Office. 

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315743

 

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-20
latest news from Thailand

Seven provinces in Chao Phraya river basin warned of rising water level as dams are discharging water Irrigation officials yesterday warned residents, temples and businesses by the banks of the Chao Phraya river in seven provinces to monitor the the water level closely and get ready for evacuation...

READ MORE...

430kg of marijuana found near banks of MekongBy The Sunday Nation Troops and police seized 430 kilograms of marijuana found abandoned by a road near the banks of the Mekong in Bueng Khong Long in Bueng Kan province in the far Northeast late on Friday night. Lt Wirat Lapthaisong, chief of a special...

READ MORE...

DSI seizes 160 supercars in a week The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) in cooperation with the Customs Department has impounded 160 luxury cars in less than a week after gaining evidence they imported to the country using falsified official documents. Among the luxury cars seized for...

READ MORE...

Myanmar drug suspect arrested in Chon BuriBy The Nation Police and district officials arrested a Myanmar man in Chon Buri’s Sattahib district on Saturday. Sattahib district chief Noraset Sritapasso said the suspect was arrested inside a mango orchard on Soi Sawasdee in Moo 4 village in Tambon...

READ MORE...
sponsors