Ex-beauty queen accuses Costa Rican Nobel winner Arias of abuse

Ex-beauty queen accuses Costa Rican Nobel winner Arias of abuse

 

800x800 (3).jpg

Costa Rica's former president and 1987 Nobel Peace Laureate Oscar Arias, gives a speech during the celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the Central America Peace Agreement, at the National theatre in San Jose, September 12, 2012. Picture taken September 12, 2012. REUTERS/Juan Carlos Ulate

 

SAN JOSE (Reuters) - A former Miss Costa Rica beauty queen has filed a formal complaint saying the country's ex-president, Oscar Arias, sexually assaulted her in 2015, adding to a growing number of women lodging accusations against the renowned statesman.

 

Ex-beauty pageant winner Yazmin Morales told Reuters on Friday that Arias forced himself on her at his San Jose home, after he had contacted her via social media.

 

"He grabbed me, forcibly got close to my body, and then with one of his hands he touched my breasts over my clothes and kissed me against my will," said Morales, repeating accusations first reported by Costa Rican media.

 

"I was in shock. I didn't expect anything like that from someone so well-known and someone I admired very much," she added.

 

Gloriana Valladares, a lawyer representing Arias, said the defense had received a copy of the new complaint after learning about it in the media. Valladares said Arias, 78, would not comment out of respect for due process.

 

Anti-nuclear activist Alexandra Arce was the first woman to come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against the two-time president, who won a Nobel Peace Prize for his role negotiating an end to civil wars in Central America. Arias has denied that claim through his lawyer.

 

With Morales, at least six women have said Arias harassed or assaulted them in what has become one of the most prominent examples of the #MeToo movement in Latin America.

 

The Costa Rican prosecutor's office confirmed it received a new sexual abuse complaint against Arias on Thursday night, saying the new complaint would be added to the earlier investigation. Only Arce and Morales have so far filed formal complaints.

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-09

latest news from World

Kenya classroom collapse kills seven children, injures 64  NAIROBI (Reuters) - Seven children were killed and 64 injured when a classroom collapsed as students were starting their morning lessons at a school in Kenya’s capital Nairobi on Monday, officials said. Television stations showed images of...

READ MORE...

UK PM Johnson says: don't expect Brexit breakthrough in New YorkBy Kylie MacLellan FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson meets with Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani at Downing Street in London, Britain September 20, 2019 Frank Augstein/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo NEW YORK...

READ MORE...

Bomb disposal officers respond to suspect package at UK's Manchester Airport Police officers are seen as a suspect package was found at Manchester Airport, in Manchester, Britain September 23, 2019. REUTERS/Phil Noble LONDON (Reuters) - Bomb disposal officers carried out a controlled explosion on...

READ MORE...

British Labour leader Corbyn faces showdown with party members over BrexitBy Elizabeth Piper and William James Britain's Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn delivers his keynote speech at the Labour Party Conference in Liverpool, Britain, September 26, 2018. REUTERS/Phil Noble/Files BRIGHTON,...

READ MORE...
sponsors