Britain's Prince Philip gives up driving licence after crash

Britain's Prince Philip gives up driving licence after crash

 

2019-02-10T031753Z_1_LYNXNPEF19028_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-ROYALS-DUKE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prince Philip is driven away from Papworth Hospital in southern England December 27, 2011. REUTERS/Neil Hall/File Photo

 

LONDON (Reuters) - Queen Elizabeth's 97-year-old husband Prince Philip has voluntarily given up his driving licence after a crash last month, Buckingham Palace said on Saturday.

 

Philip escaped without injury on Jan. 17 when the Land Rover he was driving flipped in a collision with a car close to the royals' Sandringham residence in eastern England.

 

"After careful consideration The Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence," the royal palace said in a statement.

 

The other driver, a 28-year-old woman, suffered cuts to her knee and a 45-year-old woman passenger in the car, which also had a nine-month-old baby on board, sustained a broken wrist.

 

Witnesses said Philip pulled into a main road from a drive.

 

Philip, who suggested low sun had affected his sight for the crash, also received a warning from police for driving without a seatbelt two days after the crash.

 

Norfolk Police confirmed that Philip voluntarily surrendered his licence to officers on Saturday.

 

It said it would forward the licence to Britain's licencing authority, the DVLA.

 

"The investigation file for the (Jan. 17) collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for their consideration," it added.

 

Philip retired from public life in 2017, although he still occasionally appears with his 92-year-old wife at official events.

There is no legal age in Britain to stop driving, but drivers over 70 must renew their licences every three years.

 

Philip drove then-U.S. President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle to lunch at Windsor Castle during their state visit to Britain in 2016, prompting Obama to remark: "I have to say I have never been driven by a Duke of Edinburgh before, but I can report it was very smooth riding."

 

The queen, a trained military driver during World War Two, is said to have shocked Saudi Arabia's late King Abdullah, then crown prince, by climbing into the driver's seat and taking him for a ride around her estate during a visit to Britain in 1998.

 

At the time, women were banned from driving in Saudi Arabia.

 

Outspoken yet intensely private, Philip developed a reputation for brusque comments and often headline-grabbing verbal gaffes during ceremonial events.

 

(Reporting by Andrew Cawthorne; additional reporting by James Davey; Editing by John Stonestreet and Jonathan Oatis)

 

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-11

 

latest news from World

Gunmen kill 13 at Veracruz bar in one of worst Mexican slayings this year People react next to police officers guarding a crime scene where unidentified assailants opened fire at a bar in Minatitlan, in Veracruz state, Mexico, April 19, 2019. REUTERS/Angel Hernandez MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Gunmen...

READ MORE...

India's Supreme Court chief justice denies sexually harassing assistant FILE PHOTO: Ranjan Gogoi, a Supreme Court judge, gestures as he addresses the media at a news conference in New Delhi, India January 12, 2018. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo MUMBAI (Reuters) - The chief justice of India's Supreme...

READ MORE...

Northern Ireland leaders urge calm as police arrest two over journalist's killingBy Clodagh Kilcoyne FILE PHOTO: Journalist Lyra McKee poses for a portrait outside the Sunflower Pub on Union Street in Belfast, Northern Ireland May 19, 2017. Jess Lowe Photography/Handout via REUTERS LONDONDERRY...

READ MORE...

Gunmen attack Afghan communications ministry in KabulBy Abdul Qadir Sediqi and Rupam Jain Rescued children are carried from the building of Ministry of Communication and Information Technology in Kabul, Afghanistan April 20, 2019.Reuters/Mohammad Ismail KABUL (Reuters) - Gunmen attacked the...

READ MORE...
sponsors