French presidential aide quits as Benalla scandal deepens
FILE PHOTO: French President Emmanuel Macron attends a meeting with farmers at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, February 11, 2019. Ian Langsdon/Pool via Reuters
PARIS (Reuters) - President Emmanuel Macron's special advisor Ismael Emelien joined a wave of departures from the Elysee as the French leader struggles to rebuild his popularity, sapped by "yellow vest" protests and a scandal surrounding his former security chief.
Emelien, one of Macron's most loyal aides, said on Monday he would leave in late March or early April, while affirming that his departure was unrelated to the so-called Benalla affair.
Alexandre Benalla, the former security advisor, was eventually sacked after footage emerged of him beating demonstrators last May, but the affair left lingering suspicions of an attempted cover-up.
The outcry intensified after it emerged that Benalla had continued to travel on diplomatic passports after he was fired.
In a recording taped after his sacking and published last month, Benalla was also heard discussing the support he continued to enjoy from administration figures, including Emelien.
Emelien's exit follows those of Macron's communications advisors Sylvain Fort and Barbara Frugier, and political strategist Stephane Sejourne.
Benalla is under renewed scrutiny over detailed press reports that he brokered security contracts worth 2.2 million euros ($2.5 million) with two Russian oligarchs close to President Putin, before and after he left the Elysee, and may have misled a Senate committee about his role.
French prosecutors said on Friday they had opened a corruption probe of one of the contracts, concluded with Russian tycoon Iskander Makhmudov.
Benalla did not respond to requests for comment from Reuters. Elysee officials also declined to comment, citing the ongoing criminal investigation.
(Reporting by Julie Carriat and Marine Pennetier; Writing by Laurence Frost; Editing by Dan Grebler)
UK PM candidate Johnson: Labour Party leader Corbyn guilty of anti-Semitism LONDON (Reuters) - The frontrunner to become Britain’s next prime minister, Boris Johnson, said on Monday that the leader of the main opposition Labour party, Jeremy Corbyn, was guilty of anti-Semitism. “I think by...READ MORE...
PM candidates set high bar for Brexit talks: no Irish backstop FILE PHOTO: Boris Johnson, a leadership candidate for Britain's Conservative Party, attends a hustings event in Colchester, Britain July 13, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls LONDON (Reuters) - The two candidates vying to be Britain’s next...READ MORE...
Democrats raise millions to fight Trump - and one another Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and U.S. Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) speaks before campaigning door-to-door in Manchester, New Hampshire, U.S., July 13, 2019. REUTERS/Brian Snyder Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and...READ MORE...
Pompeo hopes U.S., North Korea can be 'more creative' in nuclear talksBy Makini Brice and David Brunnstrom U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks at a news conference on human rights at the State Department in Washington, U.S., July 8, 2019. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S....READ MORE...