FILE PHOTO: A health worker injects a man with Ebola vaccine in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, August 5, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner/File Photo
GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo (Reuters) - Health authorities in Democratic Republic of Congo said on Saturday that they plan to introduce a second Ebola vaccine, manufactured by Johnson & Johnson, to counter the second-worst outbreak of the virus in history.
The team overseeing Congo's Ebola response did not say when exactly the J&J vaccine would be introduced. It will complement another vaccine manufactured by Merck, which has been administered to more than 225,000 people since August 2018.
The J&J vaccine has been a source of controversy among Congolese health officials. The former health minister, who was stripped of oversight of the Ebola response in July, opposed its use, saying it had not been proven safe or effective.
But in a statement, the current Ebola response team said the vaccine was safe and noted that it was already being trialled in neighbouring Uganda and in the West African country of Guinea.
"It is a vaccine that other countries already use. Why can't we use it in Congo to protect our population?" the statement said.
The statement said health officials intended to start by offering the J&J vaccine to Congolese traders who cross into Rwanda and then to residents of the province neighbouring the epicentre of the outbreak "to create a corridor of immunised people".
The J&J vaccine requires two injections eight weeks apart, unlike the Merck vaccine, which requires a single shot.
The current Ebola outbreak has killed more than 2,100 people since the middle of last year, second only to the 2013-16 outbreak in West Africa that killed more than 11,300.
(Reporting by Fiston Mahamba; Writing by Aaron Ross; Editing by Giles Elgood)
Kenya classroom collapse kills seven children, injures 64 NAIROBI (Reuters) - Seven children were killed and 64 injured when a classroom collapsed as students were starting their morning lessons at a school in Kenya’s capital Nairobi on Monday, officials said. Television stations showed images of...READ MORE...
UK PM Johnson says: don't expect Brexit breakthrough in New YorkBy Kylie MacLellan FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson meets with Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani at Downing Street in London, Britain September 20, 2019 Frank Augstein/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo NEW YORK...READ MORE...
Bomb disposal officers respond to suspect package at UK's Manchester Airport Police officers are seen as a suspect package was found at Manchester Airport, in Manchester, Britain September 23, 2019. REUTERS/Phil Noble LONDON (Reuters) - Bomb disposal officers carried out a controlled explosion on...READ MORE...
British Labour leader Corbyn faces showdown with party members over BrexitBy Elizabeth Piper and William James Britain's Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn delivers his keynote speech at the Labour Party Conference in Liverpool, Britain, September 26, 2018. REUTERS/Phil Noble/Files BRIGHTON,...READ MORE...